Sunday 28 January 2018

When you travel back in time



They always teach you to look ahead and never to look back;
Life, they say, is about the future, the past is “in the sack”.

And yet it is the past that beckons, with memories sweet and bitter;
The first few friends, the childhood games, the parties, and the glitter.

There is always that wish, to go back there, to reverse the flow of time –
To visit those places where memories hang, forever sweet and sublime.

Did just that after forty years, made a trip to the place of my birth –
The quaint little town, where my childhood was blessed, with fun, frolic and mirth.

The house that I called home, was just the same, beside the Mohua tree,
The yard- trees were old; the people were new, and surprised to meet me.

The garden gate still scraped the ground, and the trees stood dark, like my childhood fears,
The grape-vine that my Father had planted, was still around, after fifty years !!

One school of mine had grown immense, with new classrooms and a hall,
The second one was just the same, with the broken gate and all.

As kids we rode bikes in that town, to places both near and far –
This time the distances were that much smaller because I was in a car.

All the houses of all my friends were exactly in their place,
It is just that after all these years, of those friends, I found no trace.

And then as I travelled those roads again, one thing was clear to me –
The childhood pictures got a fresh coat of paint, but, alas! Only memories will they be.

***




The house & the Mohua tree


10 comments:

  1. Great , loved the thoughts and rhyme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really it is very nostalgic.you feel & express your feelings in this poem is very heart touching.we never forget our childhood of Chittaranjan township.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked this piece, memories always live with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Asis !! Please give your full name...

      Delete
  4. Nostalgia sprinkled in your effervescence writeup...lovely

    ReplyDelete